Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Cody Chronicles: Darkest Before Dawn

TRAILER SESSION 3

As I pulled into the drive this afternoon, I noticed the back door to the horse trailer standing open. Did I leave the door open? Why is the door open? Am I losing my mind? Then, I saw the windows open also. And it clicked. Mr. Trailer is here.

Mr. Trailer, also known as JR, had Cody loaded in the LAST stall of the trailer. The ONLY way Cody can get out is to back out. This should be interesting. I had visions of Cody spending the night in the trailer.

Mr. Trailer hooked up two 25-foot long lines to Cody’s rope halter, pulled on a pair of thick leather gloves, and proceed to wrestle with this 1,200 pound beast. If Cody would just take one step out of the trailer, he could learn that he can do it! Well, he did take one step out of the trailer. It scared him to death and he jumped back in. After a while of more patient waiting, and wrestling with the long lines, he stepped both back feet out of the trailer, only to jump back in again.

This went on for a long while, and finally, Cody exited the trailer! It wasn’t pretty. I was sure the horse was gonna suffer a fatal injury trying to get out of there. “It’s always darkest before the dawn,” Mr. Trailer reminded me.

Mr. Trailer stuck with it, and had Cody confidently loading into the trailer and backing out with less and less help each time. Now I am hopeful that Cody can learn to back out of the trailer like a normal horse, and that someday the “Turn and Burn” will be a distant memory!

Thank you Mr. Trailer.

I would have taken pictures, but the camera would have caused Cody to put on a show! So here's a real nice pic of Cody hangin' out in the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment