Monday, October 4, 2010

A woman on the edge






I got brave and decided to attend a "Women on the Edge" trail ride campout at Catoosa Ridge. Those who know me well may be surprised to think that I would need to feel brave to go do anything on my own. I am quite independent. However, when I am hauling horses around in a 1 ton truck with 6 wheels and a really big horse trailer equipped with all kinds of contraptions for convenient living, I am a little nervous that MAYBE something MIGHT go wrong.

Well, Danny really is protective of me and wasn't very excited that I was going off to spend a weekend with the girlies. He thought that I would have the time of my life and see how easy it is to actually operate all the contraptions on our weekend camper, thus gaining a new independence and leaving him at home all the time.

All was going as planned, and I did find that things weren't too hard to figure out. I learned that it is important to make sure your water hose and electric hoses REACH the hook ups BEFORE you level out your trailer and unhook from the truck.

I learned that the awning isn't something that requires a wrestling match to put up and down.

I learned that I have been very, very spoiled by my husband who makes my coffee and brings it to me every morning.

When it was time to go home, all was going as planned until I tried to hook up the trailer to the truck. I could not get the coupler pin to drop down through the coupler plates! This is what secures the trailer onto the ball hitch. A very important thing to work properly.

I learned that I must make sure the water hose and electric cord are UNHOOKED BEFORE I hook up to the truck. : )

I learned that as edgy as we women are, sometimes you just need a good man around to help out. None of us could get the pin to work, and so I tracked down one of only two genuine cowboys at the campground to come rescue me.

He was able to get the pin to bend around and slip into place.

After I got home, Danny and Rich were "fixing" the coupler pin. I only heard one thing said, and that's all I needed to hear--"It was working fine until Berta got ahold of it!"

Well, Danny, you need not be so worried about my taking off without you any more.

Enjoy the pics from the trails....
Berta


Cody and Me



Me and my shadow!


Ferns everywhere!


Sheryl, Pat, Lisa (Missing from this photo: Leslie Cromwell. We missed you, girl!)



Pat and Lisa make it to the top of the hill!


My good friend, Nora.



On the trail.


Riding with friends.


The bridge.
And the Hill. That is 20% grade folks.



Elizabeth.


Tuffy and Nora


The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment